Friday, February 11, 2011

Sexy Tiptoe Street Art


Sexy Tiptoe put up a big piece at Venice Beach.

This piece is tremendous, and beautiful.

It looks to be hand painted, and we really dig how this is original street art, not photoshopped celebrities.

If you want to see more Tiptoe, check out the links below

TIPTOE FLICKR

TIPTOE WEBSITE



And Tiptoe sent us some information about the piece and its inspiration, which you can read below

***Let me first say,

thanks for the kind words and the press. I just spent a few minutes running through your website. I like what you do. So thanks.
L.A. is a beautiful place in January.

As far as the images of the piece goes, I feel inclined to say a few things if you don't mind.
Just so there is no confusion:

The Profile with of the head with the heart in it is not mine. I don't know who the artist is, but I thought it was beautiful so I thought I would incorporate it with my work.

I believe it was GhostOWN who sprayed the woman's eyes red. And while I do think that was i nice addition, it would have been better if he sprayed his name a little less center. But it is what it is. I will, however, give him credit for having a cleaver name. The sprayed frame is not a bad addition either.
My only regret is that I wasn't able to get a decent flick of the piece after it dried and before the collaboration.

I'm also glad you share the same opinion about celebrity based Street Art (as that is what this piece is actually about)

I gave this run down to a friend of mine who asked about it.
feel free to read through it if you are interested:

There are a few layers to this.

first:
Most simply the women represents the "living" piece of Street Art (while it is on the street) and the Skulls represent all of the pieces of Street Art before her that have come and gone.

Second:
The female is portrayed in "classical" form, or "neo-classical" form. With is to say she represents a formulaic style.
And in this case the bed of skulls represent "periods" or "formulaic styles" of art history. You know, styles that can easily be identified, like Classical, POP, Abstract Expressionism, Cubism, etc. Not to take away from these styles but to say have become identifiable styles or, styles that are no longer experimental but are formulaic.
For instance, the work of many artists working today can be considered "POP" or "Abstract Expressionist" because those styles are no longer the Avant-Gared or experimental and already have their place in history.
The women also represents the Street Art movement. She is half alive and at risk of just becoming just another part of the pile of dead history, no longer breathing or evolving into something fresh. I feel it is crucial period in the Street Art Movement to either move forward or be another thing that was. Like many of the things found in great art MUSEUMS/morgues. We need to stop recycling aesthetics of the Artists that have come before us and continue to push the boundaries of aesthetics, intent, and ability. I think there are many artist that are doing this but I don't know if this is the norm or the focus the general social consciousness has on Street Art.

Third:
it is simultaneously an homage to the death of street art, and a pray for its everlasting life.

anyway that was the intended message.
Thanks again for the press
-tiptoe***

No comments:

Post a Comment