Thursday, May 3, 2012

More Pics from Teacher X Toolz Giant Life Sized Mock Monopoly Board

"WHOSE STREETS?!  OUR STREETS!" More pics from the Teacher X Toolz Giant Life Sized Mock Monopoly board game, placed in downtown Los Angeles as part of the May 1st Occupy Wall Street movement. Here is a great description from M&F contributor John Wellington Ennis, who was there at the scene. 'It was amazingly received!   After a lot of uncertainty about whether or not there'd be a closed down street, we took over the intersection at 6th & Broadway.  Many different people were milling about downtown waiting for something to happen.  Once Teach started unfurling, there was a crowd surrounding the board and admiring it.  Cops did nothing.  Eventually, I filmed LAPD traversing our board, which somehow gave me great satisfaction and pride: Officers walking, cop cars, bike cops, even the audio weapon SUV rolled by. The intersection worked out great.  People milled about the board not walking on it, just walking around, and so many people taking pictures.  Lots of media.  I was interviewed by a few places.  I'll collect clippings today.  I saw helicopters overhead, I'll see if there's any aerial footage. Then the marches came.  First a huge immigration march came down Broadway.  Then an Occupy/Queer march from the East on 6th, then a big Occupy contingent from the West. Best part of all was this board was the ultimate billboard highjack--not a tag on a riding billboard, but sliced up billboard vinyl turned into art for the public, reclaiming the streets as true street art. "WHOSE STREETS?!  OUR STREETS!'

3 comments:

  1. I love it. Awareness is everything, as we all see daily in our media corporate owned little (big) capitalist pig run nation of "want-to-have-it-all"s. I applaud your work here Teacher, I am sure it took quite a while to create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding. I have a photo pointed at this POV. I wonder is these were taken by the photog hanging off the scaffold I shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEEEEEAAAAH!! THAT"S RIGHT! OUR STREETS!!!!!!!!!!

    WAY TO GO TEACH AND TOOLZ!!

    ReplyDelete